Wer begriffen hat und nicht handelt, hat nicht begriffen.
The 23rd of September there was an emergency climate summit in New York. During the previous weekend, people went to the streets all over the world (more than 300’000 in New York!). Also in Zurich we had our little event with about 500 people in Helvetiaplatz. A letter was sent to Doris Leuthard, asking our government to perform a stronger environmental policy.
I personally participated to the organization of the event, spent half of the day distributing flyers in Hirschenplatz with a group of fierce helpers I’m so grateful for. Watch disruption online, a movie that documents the history of the climate change science and movement, up to the preparations of the march, and our current state. We are part of a bigger movement. We are part of a global effort. We shouln’t forget that.
During the weeks preceding the event, a new environmentalist organization in was founded in Zurich: fossil-free.ch. They represent the most active group in this area I’m aware of at the moment, so subscribe to their newsletter to be informed about their activities. They also have a facebook page.
By the way, see our network page to find more groups and activities, and please contact us if you know about other activities related to climate change in Zurich not covered there.
As usual in such events, I was able to talk to many people and I learned a lot.
- Yes! Magazine – reframes the biggest problems of our time in terms of their solutions.
- 2000 Watt Gesellschaft – a concept to bring energy consumption down to 2000 W per person by the end of the century.
- This changes everything – a must-read book about climate change.
- Mount Tambora – is a volcano that erupted and led to global cooling in 1815, the “Year without a Summer”.
- No-Till Farming – a way of growing crops or pasture from year to year without disturbing the soil through tillage. Can reduce or eliminate soil erosion.
- WeAreChange.ch – a Swiss grassroots newspaper.